Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Man With a Plan


A little over a year ago, Taylor donned a hideously bright yellow t-shirt and helped man a Cytomax station at mile 9 of the Inaugural Seattle Rock n' Roll marathon. Yesterday, Taylor once again put on this t-shirt to announce the beginning of his running career to the world.

Taylor has never enjoyed running as sport. While I get a thrill out of the competition, camaraderie, testing of limits, and accomplishment of goals, he (like most people) sees it as a complete waste of time. After I finished my 2nd marathon though, he mentioned in passing that he really enjoyed being around the culture of running, and wondered aloud what it would be like to run a race. I immediately pursued his tiny bit of interest and locked him in to agreeing to do a half marathon "someday". After a year of debating about which marathon to do next, I finally bagged the idea of committing to long runs over the summer and instead decided to do the Bellingham Half. Registering for a race would at least keep me running over the summer. I casually mentioned my goal to Taylor while on a walk and told him I would love it if he did it with me, but that the deadline for cheap entry was in a week..... After talking about how most of the training would just involve the maintenance of fitness, and then finding a super low-key training schedule online (thanks again Hal Higdon!) which included many cross training days (i.e. mountain biking and soccer), Taylor committed! We are now two days into our training schedule, and although he's not addicted to the sport of running, he's going to stick it out until the end. My man- isn't he awesome?!

4 comments:

  1. I love it!
    I tried to lock Shane into running a 1/2 with me but so far it is still in the "someday" phase...
    Love, AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor looks extremely tall in this picturel... :-) Love following blogs! Look forward to yours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor is both awesome and tall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor IS tall in this picture..it looks like he's taller than our door! I'll need to work on my angles a little more!

    ReplyDelete